Friday, February 20, 2009

Where Has The Time Gone?

I can't believe that it's been almost a month since my last post! I have been so busy with work, the kids, etc.etc. I don't even know where to start. I guess I will start with that lovely van of mine. We have decided to put the money into that we didn't want to. We got the check from the insurance company for the damage from when I hit the deer. It's been in the shop since Monday. The check was for alot more than I thought it would be, so we're hoping that there'll be enough left over to fix what needs to be fixed. I am sure that won't be the case though. We just don't have that kind of luck! I am hoping to get my van back in the next couple of days. I hate driving that big ol' honkin' farm wagon of Mike's.

Other big news....Jake got his braces off on Monday! He's had them almost 3 years. They look great! Nice and straight. He looks so grown up with them off now. It's hard to believe what that kid has been through with his teeth the last 8 years.....and now it's over for the most part. He does have to wear a retainer on his top teeth at night, and he has a semi-permanent retainer on the bottom that he'll have for a few years. I got the pictures out the "before" pics that the dentist had taken the day he got his braces on. What a mess they were. For those of you who don't know the story about Jake & his teeth, here is the short version:

In November of 2000, at the age of 6, Jake was involved in a 4-wheeler accident. He was a passenger on a 4-wheeler driven by his sperm donor's girlfriend. He was thrown from the atv. Although he had a helmet on, it was an adult helmet, and it was so loose that his head rattled around inside it, breakign his jaw in three places. He lost all of his baby teeth at once. He was taken to the ER (not immediately though.....Tom didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal! Fucking Idiot). When I got to the ER, he was unrecognizable. His entire face was swollen, his jaw was shifted to one side, his lips were hugely swollen, and there was blood everywhere. Needless too say, I freaked. My father swept me away to the waiting room and demanded that I get it together....that Jake needed me. Somehow, I gained my composure. He underwent surgery to repair his broken jaw and had his mouth wired shut for 6 weeks. He ate nothing but soups, sloppy mashed potatoes and milkshakes. I took a leave of absence from work and took him out of school for that period because I had to carry a pair of wire cutters with me at all times in the event that he choked on something. I couldn't risk sending him to school. He missed so much school that we had him held back the following year. Tom, being the loser that he is, didn't carry any insurance on him as he had been court ordered, so therefore, all the bills went directly to me. I was hauled into court 3 times over medical bills. I filed a lawsuit against Tom's parents as they were the owner of the atv. I won the suit, but only $25,000 which was the max of the atv insurance policy. It covered the bills, but not near enough for what the kid went through. As his adult teeth finally started coming in, they came in very crooked. His teeth and gums had received such trauma that things weren't going as well as they should. So we opted for the braces. We were able to pay for them in full up-front thanks to the money from the lawsuit. Now, eight years later, the braces are off and his teeth look great! I am going to check into having them whightened too. After all he's been through, he deserves a beautiful set of chompers and I'll spare no expense to give him just that!

I am supposed to be having a sleepover tonight. Yes.....ME. A few of my besties are coming with their kids and we're going to eat, drink, drink, eat, and watch chick flicks while the kiddies whoop it up. Not sure if the weather is going to co-operate though. Especailly up on the "Tug"...lol. You've gotta be a local to understand that! We're expecting quite a bit of snow tonight.

Well, I guess that's really all that's been going on. I could go on and on, and bore you some more with all of the other petty crap that's been going the last month, but I wouldn't do that to ya! Toodles!

No comments: