Monday, July 7, 2008

Poor Kid.......

We got home from the cottage yesterday around 1 o'clock, and Jake immediately started complaining of an ear ache. As the day passed, the pain got worse, so I had to take him to Quik Med. Low and behold, he has a double ear infection. They gave us 2 prescriptions....one for an oral antibiotic and one for ear drops. By the time we got out of Quik Med, it was almost 6 o'clock. We went to 5 pharmacies before we found one that was open....the Walgreens on Arsenal St. (they are open 'til 9 on Sunday's for future reference). The 2 prescriptions were $220, but our insurance paid all but $50 of it, so I guess that's not too bad....but still alot more than I had anticipated. He had a rough night last night. The pain was so bad that he was literally freaking out. went up to my mother-in-laws at 10 p.m. to see if she had anything that would help him sleep. She finally found some Tylenol with codeine, and that seemed to do the trick, though it took forever for him to fall asleep. I I stayed up with him till well after midnight when he finally fell asleep. I guess that he woke up a few times in the night in pain, too. I got up at 4 a.m. to give him some more Tylenol. As I walked past Lukas' bedroom on my way back to bed, I noticed that the damn cat had puked directly in front of Lukas' door. I knew that if I didn't clean it up then, he'd undoubtedly step in it when he got up. So, there I am, on my hands and knees at 4 a.m. cleaning up cat puke when I hear singing coming from Lukas' room!! I thought "What the HELL is that?!?". I open the door slowly and quietly to see Lukas laying in bed, wide awake, singing the Chipmunks Christmas song ("Me, I want a HULA HOOP....we can hardly stay away....it's Christmas don't be late!"). I asked him what he was doing, and he informed me that he couldn't sleep anymore. Well, I informed him that it was 4 a.m. and he was NOT getting up. I did let him get into bed with me though. It was at least 5 before either one of us fell back to asleep. Ugggggggggggh. Today was the kids' first day of Summer Rec , though Jake was far too tired to go. Sounds like Lukas had a good time. Jake spent the entire day asleep, I kid you not. It'll be a miracle if he sleeps at all tonight.

As you know, it was hotter than blazes out today....and our friggin central a/c decided that it wasn't going to work!! Not sure what is going on with it. When we first got it, we used to run it too cold, and it would make the unit freeze up. So we listened to the guy that installed it (what a novel idea!), and we kept it between 65-68 degrees, and just let it rip. We had no problems with it last year by doing that. So we were doing the same thing with it this year, but it seems to have froze up. Right now we're trying to let it thaw out and hopefully that'll do that trick. I can't stand the heat.....actually, none of us can! Just bugs me more than anything that we have a $2400 paper weight sitting out there! I have the windows open right now, and it's the coolest in here that it has been all day.

Lukas has a severe obsession with puppets. I have always been convinced that my kids enherited the "Henson Gene", which I enherited from MY mother. By "Henson", I mean Jim Henson, creator of the Muppets. I love, love, love the Muppets....always have....still do. So do my kids. Well, a few months ago, Lukas watched a comedy routine by Jeff Dunham who has about 5 or 6 puppets as part of his routine....and the kids is CONSTANTLY repeating the entire routine!! Well, tonight, I was scrolling through the guide on t.v. to see what was on, and there were 4 re-runs in a row of the old show "ALF". I knew immediately that he would love it. How right I was!! He has been watching it for an hour and a half now.....and LAUGHS hysterically!! He just loves the fact that ALF is a talking, walking puppet and has an insatiable desire for CATS!! It's actually nice to have a tv show that the kids and I can watch together. There is nothing on tv at night for families anymore.

Well, suppose I had better go back to ALF! Slate......out.

No comments: