Monday, August 11, 2008

The Legend Of Nemo

On Saturday, Tylerville had it's annual "Old Homes Day"....which basically is a long-standing joke of a tradition. They have a "parade" which consists of the Tylerville Fire Departments 2 trucks, the Town of Rutland fire trucks, a couple of horses, 1 float and a couple of little kids with their decorated bicycles. They also have the "Rollo" game (which the kids and I love!), a couple of games, a cake walk (which I would NEVER in a million years try to win anything from....gag!), and a concession stand that is run by the Tylerville Grange. Jake wasn't home to go with us this year, and Mike was sleeping, so Lukas and I went with all of Mike's family. Lukas had a great time....it doesn't take much to amuse him (like his dad!). He won 2 goldfish in a round-about-sort of way.....actually....he cheated his ass off.....but got to take 2 fish home nonetheless. He named them Nemo and Jerry Michael....lol. I had a goldfish bowl and some rocks and have just been feeding them some little pieces of bread. Well, about a half an hour ago, I found Nemo belly up on the bottom of the bowl. Lukas took the news pretty hard. Poor kid. I know it's only a fish...but it's so hard trying to explain "The Circle of Life" to a 5 year old. Lukas only knew Nemo 2 days......but he informed me that Nemo was his best friend :( He asked me if we had to flush him, and of course I had to say yes. He took the Dixie cup with Nemo in it, poured the little guy into the porcelain throne, and flushed him down into "Fishie Heaven". He's just so upset....but yet wants me to go get him another fish tomorrow. He's so pitiful that I am almost tempted, but know without a doubt that if I do....we'll be going through this again in another 2 days!! He asked me if I killed him by feeding him too much (apparently he killed my cousin's fish by feeding it too much, and never told me 'till the other day....lol). In my head I thought "No....not by feeding it TOO much....perhaps by not feeding it ENOUGH"....lol. Was the bread enough? Probably not. But c'mon....let's face it....would it really have mattered if I'd have bought a $3 jar of food just to take 2 pinches out of it and THEN have them die?? Ugggggggh. And the BEST part of the story.....Michael missed the whole thing....AGAIN. This is at least the 3rd or 4th fish that we've had that has bit the big one while Mike was working. Why is that, do you suppose?? I made sure that Lukas gave Daddy a call while he was full-flegged flipping out :)

The last couple of days have been nice! Perhaps not for you....but as you know....I love the cool weather! It's been getting me all excited for Fall!! All I could think about yesterday was going to the cider mill to get some pumpkins, some Mums, some cider and some nice, hot cider donuts!! Mmmmmmm!! I do hope that it warms up a little bit in the next day or two, and that Mother Nature gets the rain out of her system. The kids and I are going to Water Safari with the Summer Rec program on Wednesday, and this weekend we're camping up to Happy Hollow with a bunch of my friends from Copenhagen.

Jake and I went out on the porch a little while ago to see if we could see the big Meteor Shower tonight....but saw nothing. They said that you should be able to see 1 to 2 meteors per minute. We sat out there for at least 5 minutes and saw nothing.

Guess I had better go check on Jerry Michael and make sure that he's not belly up now. I don't think I could go through another tragedy again tonight! Rest in peace, beloved Nemo.

1 comment: