Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Chaperone Gig



Yesterday was the kid's trip to Enchanted Forest/Water Safari with the Rec program, and I went along as a chaperone. I thought that it would be a nice little day trip with the kids.....and better yet....it was free for me to go! Well, I had 4 little boys in my group....no big deal, I thought. Better than 4 little girls, for sure! 3 of the 4 were pretty good. The one....Gunner...yes....Gunner....was a little pain in the fucking ass!! I get the impression that he's been there before, and that his parents just let him do whatever the hell he wants, and let him go wherever the hell he wants. That wasn't flying with me. I must have told the kid a hundred times or more that he could NOT go on the "big" rides without an adult, and that I couldn't go with him because there were 3 other kids with us! Uggggh. Plus, it rained like a bastard for about 2 hours....45 minutes before we ate lunch....and 45 minutes after we ate lunch. All in all, it was a pretty fun day (for the kids!). Me....I was friggin EXHAUSTED when we got home! WHOOPED!! Ugggggggh. Here is a picture take yesterday. Dakota is the first one on the left, then the pain in the ass, Gunner, then Lukas, and then my friend, Hope's little boy, Drew.




On our way to Old Forge, I got a phone call from my cousin, Heidi. Her and her family were supposed to meet us up there (her oldest child, Dakota, was one of the kids in my group). They stopped at Walmart in Lowville to pick up some lunch stuff to bring up. While they were in there, her husband had their 3 1/2 year old, Dylan, on his shoulders. He somehow fell off Matt's shoulders and smashed his head on the concrete floor. They took him to the ER in Lowville where they did an immediate catscan. They found a brain bleed and arranged for an ambulance transport to Upstate Hospital in Syracuse. Tonight will be his second night there. He's doing much better, though he does have a concussion. The brain bleed has stopped, thank God. I kept Dakota overnight and Heidi's mom picked him up today. I got to talk to Dilly yesterday and today, so that has set me at ease some. I was so worried yesterday that I think that attributed to my exhaustion last night. Here's a picture of Dilly playing in the playroom at the hospital today. Poor little man! Look at his cute little mohawk!!


Update on Lukas' fish: Another one bites the dust. Jerry Michael has joined Nemo in that big septic abyss in our front yard. Oddly enough....his death was nowhere near as tragic as Nemo's. I'm chalking that episode up to Lukas being overtired that night. When Lukas saw the empty bowl last night (Mike disposed of the corpse while we were in Old Forge), he simply asked "Did Jerry Michael die too?". I said yes. He walked away and said nothing. Went right about his business like nothing happened. Whatever.

We're getting ready for another camping excursion this weekend. We're heading to Happy Hollow for 3 nights. It's "Happy Hollow Weekend".....whatever the hell that means....lol. Should be a good time, and I'm wicked excited!! A bunch of my friends and their families are going too. One of them is my friend, Carol, who was actually Mike's best friend through high school. She is a RIOT!! We've gotten to be really close, and I have gotten to be really close to her sister's, Dora and Char, and their families too. They'll all be there as well. Like I said, I'm wicked excited about going!

Well, it's been a long day of making salads, stew and cookies and doing laundry for the weekend, so I'm heading to bed! Slate, out!

No comments: